We have organised an online translation course for students and graduates from a range of fields since 2005. Every year, while studying this course, a few dozen students have the opportunity to gain experience by performing translations and editing work under the supervision of professional translators and proofreaders.
The course consists of a series of workshops which include CAT training (Déjà Vu X2 by Atril) as well as sessions on the theory and practice of translation and on translation as a profession. They cover:
- Sources of information for translators (websites, forums, articles, dictionaries, glossaries)
- Translation techniques (software for translators, computer-assisted translation – CAT)
- Translation studies (theory of translation, linguistics, machine translation)
- Spanish grammar and style (grammatical reference sources, potential language problems and possible solutions)
- Literary translations (poetry, songs, fiction, critiquing translation)
- Translation of films (dialogue lists, dubbing, sound production)
- Interpreting (consecutive and simultaneous interpreting)
- Professional training and development (studies, courses, examinations)
- The community of translators (organisations and associations, meetings, conferences).
The course is unpaid and delivered online, requiring a commitment of 5-10 hours a week for 3 months. (The sessions may be accessed at any time e.g. at weekends or at night).
- Very good knowledge of at least one foreign language
- Above-average computer skills
- Excellent knowledge of Spanish (grammar, style, lexis, punctuation)
- Basic knowledge of English
- Ability to write with ease and accuracy, employing good powers of observation
- Permanent Internet connection
- Ability to learn quickly and independently
What we offer
We issue a certificate of completion at the end of the course and an internationally recognised Déjà Vu Basic Course (DVBC) certificate. Selected people will also be offered remote working opportunities (specific written translations or/and proofreading) on a contract basis, or full-time in-house employment in Madrid.